small improvement to roles mechanism

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Sun Oct 13 04:17:49 UTC 2013

Some of you have said that the core of the roles idea is stable. I tend to agree with this. Roles catch legitimate type errors. Roles also catch what I'll call latent type errors -- programming idioms that depend on a delicate, unenforced type-level invariant (for example, that a type family operating on a newtype and its base type yield the same results). Roles, as they are currently implemented, also catch some non-type-errors. As Simon and I both have said, this is generally to be expected.

Role annotations, on the other hand, do not feel stable. We just agreed on new syntax a few weeks ago. There is ongoing debate on defaults. Now, I'm wondering if a type-class-oriented approach might be best, not the least because it wouldn't have to introduce new syntax.

These facts suggest another way forward: go ahead with roles, but skip role annotations. This would mean we infer the most permissive role, all the time. This approach still breaks abstractions, but it's no worse than it was before roles came along. And, we would continue to think about the best way to protect against abstraction-breaking through role annotations or other constructs.

I guess what worries me here is that someone who uses GND with a class that roles currently prohibit (but that, perhaps, we could allow later with some Bright Idea) would have to change their code in 7.8 not to use GND. Then, in 7.10, they could use GND once again! It seems a little silly from that user's point of view.

Richard