Unexpected failures on Travis

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Oct 18 18:46:37 UTC 2013

The TH_Roles tests both use `runIO` inside of a TH splice to spit out some stuff. It seems (even on my machine) that when output is redirected, the result of a `runIO` is suppressed. For example, when I compile

> {-# LANGUAGE TemplateHaskell #-}
> module Scratch where
>
> import Language.Haskell.TH
>
> $( do runIO $ putStrLn "hi there"
>       return [] )

I get an output include "hi there" when I run ghc normally, but

prompt> ghc -c Scratch.hs >stdout.txt

leaves me with no output to my terminal, and a stdout.txt that lists only the loaded libraries, no "hi there".

I would guess that the problem on Travis is closely related. Does anyone know more about this output suppression?

Thanks,
Richard