Why do we put GMP allocations on GHC heaps?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 23 08:57:55 UTC 2013

Gergely

Edward has it right.  Functional programs allocate a lot of intermediate stuff.  ((a+b)*c-d) allocates two intermediate Integers and discards them pretty soon afterwards.  GHC's code generator and garbage collector are good at both allocation and gc of young dead objects.

Using malloc/free would require a finaliser-style interface, which is significantly less efficient.  That might matter a lot for an arithmetic-intensive program, and not at all for one where Integer arithmetic was incidental.

However, you could perfectly well imagine a third package (alongside integer-gmp and integer-simpl), let's call it integer-gmp-malloc.  This would use the malloc/free interface, with finalisers to free space when no longer referenced from the GHC heap. It might be faster than integer-simple, and more inter-operable than integer-gmp.

Also, freeing us from the GPL constraints of GMP, while offering better performance than integer-simple, would be great.

See also http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ReplacingGMPNotes

Please do record the information or insights you get on a GHC wiki page!

Simon