newtype coercion wrapping status

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Sat Sep 7 19:45:30 CEST 2013

OK -- thanks for clarifying. This all sits better with me.

But, I'm still a little concerned about the "Safe Haskell" implications. My understanding is that allowing coercions when the constructor is not exported will not be considered "Safe". Here's a way forward:

Currently: a type is considered abstract when its constructors are not exported.

Future proposal: a type is considered abstract when its constructors are not exported AND its type parameters are all at role Nominal.

Under this new definition of "abstract", a library writer that remembers not to export a constructor but neglects to use a role annotation should consider a type *not* to be abstract. Is this what we want?

Richard