[core libraries] RE: Alex and new Bool primops

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 10 08:53:07 UTC 2013

(Simon M: are you ok with updating Alex?  You were the one of those who argued strongly for using the old names for the new primops.)

The difficulty is this.

·         Alex generates Haskell code, by transforming Foo.x into Foo.hs

·         The generated Foo.hs contains references to comparison primops, say (>#) :: Int# -> Int# -> Bool

·         Therefore Foo.hs will not work with GHC 7.8 if we have changed the type of (>#), which is what I think we have agreed to do.

·         The solution is to make Alex generates a Foo.hs that is compilable either with GHC 7.8 or 7.6, by including enough CPP directives.  Alex already does this for compatibility with earlier GHCs

·         However, until there is a new version of Alex, you simply won’t be able to bootstrap GHC 7.8 (or indeed the current HEAD).

That’s all there is to it.  It’s tiresome and trivial in a sense, but it’s a choice we have to make.

It might be perfectly reasonable to say

·         You can’t build GHC 7.8 from source with the Haskell Platform until a new HP comes out with the new Alex (which will be soon).

·         Unless you install the new Alex manually

This seems not too bad; people who build GHC from source are generally pretty savvy.  The choice between the two is what we seek your guidance on.

(Incidentally, a very similar situation has arisen for Happy: see http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8022.  But there the cost of perpetuating the status quo for another release cycle seems minimal.)

Simon