Coercible class (Was: newtype wrappers)

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 16 05:53:21 UTC 2013

Good points.

The Coercible class really is a language feature, as much as (say) implicit parameters.  There is no new *syntax*, but a (Coercible a b) constraint behaves differently to other normal class constraints.  It has no instances; rather it has some specific rules about how Coercible constraints are solved.  Or, if you like, it changes the type system of the language.

(It's an unusual language feature because it is "emabled" simply by importing the right library, rather than by a flag.  Though I suppose you could argue for -XNewtypeCoercions in order to force a module to document that it uses the feature.  I'm happy as-is.)

Internally, both Coercible constraints and implicit parameters are represented as class constraints.  The difference is that implicit parameters have special syntax -- and we *could* have special syntax for Coercible constraints (though I'm not seriously suggesting that).

So I suggest that the Coercible class has a user-guide section as a peer to implicit parameters, that explains the feature and the solving rules.   Maybe the stuff on generalised newtype deriving should move there, under a heading of "Extended support for newtype" or something?

I'm guessing that all this material is already drafted in the Haddock comments.   (In a taxi so can't check.)  Maybe it belongs in the user manual with a link to it?  The library documentation can more or less say (a) Coercible is not an ordinary type class (b) you can't declare instances of it (c) look in the user manual.

Simon