simd branch ready for review/merge

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 20 11:24:06 UTC 2013

Geoff

I'm too far from this stuff to give it a meaningful review, at least not without sitting beside you.  So I suggest you just merge it!  Simon Marlow may want to look.

The wiki page http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/SIMD/Design describes the design, and I think it's up to date with your patches (correct?). Thanks for doing that!

>From our previous discussion, the bit I hate is this:

1 there are so many distinct data types (Int16x4, Int32x2, etc)

2 primops.txt.pp therefore has to grow a macro-like mechanism
  to ameliorate the burden of writing out all the zillions of
  types and primops

Concerning (2), the obvious rejoinder is: well, primops.txt.pp is really a program written in a domain specific language -- and that language is getting more elaborate.  Solution: stop building a new language, and instead make primops.txt.pp into an embedded DSL in Haskell; just a Haskell program that we run to generate the various outputs.  Then all the mechanisms you had to add will be trivial.

Concerning (1) what we want is a way to make types Int<16,4> where the parameters 16 and 4 are forced to be static literals, and where you absolutely do not get polymorphism like  f :: Int<a><b> -> blah.  There is some Trac discussion about this.

It can't be that hard.  I'm copying some FC friends!

Simon