7.8.1 plan

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Thu Apr 10 01:09:39 UTC 2014

Jens,

It's probably due to abb86adf7f749b3d44887d28bc96b43c5a1e0631[1] which
was merged post RC2. I base this on the fact your build is failing
during the dynamic build. Do try a reverse patch and see if it helps.

I believe Karel is right - you just need to use Gold. Ben actually had
patches to make the build fail if using binutils ld was detected, but
I believe I had reservations about the patch which I cannot recall off
the top of my head. In any case, a fix like that can certainly go in
7.8.2.

Do let us know how it goes.

[1] https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/abb86adf7f749b3d44887d28bc96b43c5a1e0631

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Jens Petersen
<petersen at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 9 April 2014 17:53, Karel Gardas <karel.gardas at centrum.cz> wrote:
>>
>> Ben Gamari (cced) documented it well here:
>> http://bgamari.github.io/posts/2014-03-06-compiling-ghc-7.8-on-arm.html
>>
>> Looks like the issue is caused by binutils' linker while fixed in gold.
>

> Thanks a lot, Karel!  I will try Ben's hack later.
>
> I am still surprised that RC2 builds fine on ARM (I re-verified that
> yesterday [1]) but not final 7.8.1.
> Were there some late ARM or linking changes that cause this now?
>
>> On 04/ 9/14 10:21 AM, Jens Petersen wrote:
>>>
>>>     dll-split: internal error: evacuate(static): strange closure type 0
>>

>>>     See http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=6719940 for
>

>>>     I reproduced this two times now. RC2 built okay on ARM so I am not
>>>     sure what changed.
>

> [1]  http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=6720331

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant