GHC MinGW distribution

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 10 08:25:46 UTC 2014

Robin

We would be thrilled if you would help.

We physically include very selective chunks of MinGW in a GHC Windows distribution
- so that users don't need to install MinGW
- so that GHC doesn't break just because a user has
  a different version of MinGW than we expected
We keep these chunks of MinGW in the GHC repo (in ghc-tarballs) precisely so that we know exactly which bits to ship.

The intention is that the MinGW bits shipped with GHC are essentially invisible to the user. They just see a ghc.exe, which just happens internally to call some Mingw binaries.

But as you point out, it's not quite invisible if the GHC-compiled stuff has to be compatible in some way with stuff compiled some other way. One route is to use GHC as your C compiler (which will in turn invoke the private MinGW binary), but that probably won't work; I have learned that things are Never Simple.

Moreover, it would be great to update the MinGW bits to a more modern version.

If you can do this, fantastic.  What you need to do, I think, is
- look at what is in ghc-tarballs
- pull out selected bits of the new MinGW and use them to replace
  what's in ghc-tarballs
- test thoroughly

I'm sure that others will be happy to help.  Do keep ghc-devs posted.  You could make a ticket and post information to it as you learn about it.  Or even a wiki page to describe the process, so that in four years time when someone wants to do the same thing, they have a guide.  Speaking of which, do search the Trac Wiki in case someone *has* already docuemented some aspects of this.

I would really like to have a Windows Strike Force who collectively take responsibility for the Windows port of GHC, if you and some others felt able to be part of such a thing.

Thanks

Simon