make maintainer-clean (was: Re: The (Interactive) Glasgow Haskell Compiler -- version 5.00)

Michael Weber michael.weber@post.rwth-aachen.de
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:31:44 +0200

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 15:00:08 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> > Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:15:39 +1000, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty
> > <chak@cse.unsw.edu.au> pisze:
> >
> > > The source tar ball misses the configure scripts (it has the
> > > `configure.in's, but the source tar ball should be
> > > autoconf'ed, shouldn't it?)
> >
> > BTW, IMHO 'make maintainer-clean' should not delete configure scripts
> > (comments say that it doesn't, but it does).
>
> I dunno.  'make distclean' leaves the configure scripts in place, 'make
> maintainer-clean' is supposed to get you back to a pristine tree as it
> would be if it were just checked out from CVS.

erm, not that I say, sticking to the standards is mandatory, but... ;)

$ info standards 'Managing Releases' 'Makefile Conventions' 'Standard Targets'
     [...]
     The reason we say "almost everything" is that running the command
     `make maintainer-clean' should not delete `configure' even if
     `configure' can be remade using a rule in the Makefile.  More
     generally, `make maintainer-clean' should not delete anything that
     needs to exist in order to run `configure' and then begin to build
     the program.  This is the only exception; `maintainer-clean' should
     delete everything else that can be rebuilt.
     [...]

There should be an additional target, e.g. "make cvs-clean", or
similar.

Cheers,
Michael
--
 /~\ ASCII ribbon | "I would rather spend 10 hours reading someone else's
 \ / campaign     |  source code than 10 minutes listening to Musak waiting