: RE: haskell.runtime.* ??

Erik Meijer emeijer@microsoft.com
Tue, 1 May 2001 00:51:56 +0200

There is a working GHC-to-.Net runtime available at
www.mondrian-script.org <http://www.mondrian-script.org/> ; reving the
Jva a backend should not be too much of a problem.

Erik

=20

Message: 1
Subject: RE:  haskell.runtime.* ??
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 12:16:24 -0700
From: "Simon Peyton-Jones" < simonpj@microsoft.com
<mailto:simonpj@microsoft.com> >
To: "Kwanghoon Choi" < khchoi@ruby.kaist.ac.kr
<mailto:khchoi@ruby.kaist.ac.kr> >,
< glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org
<mailto:glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org> >

I'm afraid that no one ever completed the GHC Haskell->Java
story.  The idea is that the JVM is the runtime, but of
course you need to implement the standard libraries somehow,=3D20
and all the primitive operations GHC uses.   Not a trivial
task, but one we are undertaking for .NET.

Bottom line: the reason you can't find a runtime is because
you are supposed to compile the Java with a Java compiler
and run that.  But you'll need to do more than that to
actually run programs

Simon