MPI status?

Duncan Coutts dcoutts@cray.com
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 17:51:30 -0500

Hi all,

I'm doing an internship at Cray Inc this summer and I might get the
opportunity of some computer time on a T3E machine. Now I am also a great
Haskell fan and have been wondering about the possibility of getting
parallel Haskell running on a real super-computer. I've read that someone
is working on porting ghc's parallel features to an MPI implementation and
also that someone recently got the alpha port working again.

In case you don't know a T3E is a distributed memory alpha based
super-computer. It supports MPI & pthreads.

So my question is, what is the state of the art? What is the state of the
MPI port? Does the alpha port work sufficiently well. One potential
problem I can see is that I'm not sure gcc is avaliable on the T3E and I'm
not sure how dependant ghc is upon the various GNU C extensions.

So, if I can get an account, I'll have untill the end of September to test
anything anyone can give me.

You know they still program these machines in C, C++ & Fortran. Shocking!
;-)

Duncan