MPI status?

Phil Trinder trinder@cee.hw.ac.uk
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:37:58 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Duncan,

The latest version of GpH is based on GHC 4.06 and runs on Linux PCs. A release
based on GHC 5.01 is imminent. In the next couple of months we plan ports to
Sun Solaris, and later to SGI Origins.

GpH is bundled with many GHC versions - details at
http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~dsg/gph/, and requires PVM rather than MPI. However,
as Manuel Chakravarty points out, even with gcc on the T3E it's non-trivial to
port GHC.

Phil

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 17:51:30 -0500 Duncan Coutts <dcoutts@cray.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm doing an internship at Cray Inc this summer and I might get the
> opportunity of some computer time on a T3E machine. Now I am also a great
> Haskell fan and have been wondering about the possibility of getting
> parallel Haskell running on a real super-computer. I've read that someone
> is working on porting ghc's parallel features to an MPI implementation and
> also that someone recently got the alpha port working again.
>
> In case you don't know a T3E is a distributed memory alpha based
> super-computer. It supports MPI & pthreads.
>
> So my question is, what is the state of the art? What is the state of the
> MPI port? Does the alpha port work sufficiently well. One potential
> problem I can see is that I'm not sure gcc is avaliable on the T3E and I'm
> not sure how dependant ghc is upon the various GNU C extensions.
>
> So, if I can get an account, I'll have untill the end of September to test
> anything anyone can give me.
>
> You know they still program these machines in C, C++ & Fortran. Shocking!
> ;-)
>
> Duncan

Phil Trinder
Department of Computing and Electrical Engineering
Heriot Watt University
Riccarton
Edinburgh, EH14 4AS

E-mail: trinder@cee.hw.ac.uk