Bagley shootout. Was: Lightningspeed haskell

John Atwood atwoodj@cs.orst.edu
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:11:46 -0800 (PST)

I notice that the reverse file program, while concise, is quite slow.
  The program in its entirety is:
     main = interact $ unlines . reverse . lines

Any thoughts on why its time is 5.68 seconds, vs 3.56 for tcl, 2 for
perl, 0.19 for gcc, 0.18 for ocaml; and how it might be sped up? Is the
lack of speed all in the stdio I/O?

Is there a way to tell which benchmarks have no haskell entry?

John Atwood