Poll: System.exitWith behaviour

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 17:30:39 +0100

> >    - introduce a new exception constructor:
> > 	 ExitException ExitCode
> >=20
> >    - System.exitWith causes (ExitException code) to be
> >      raised in the current thread.
>=20
> Not entirely relevant, in fact, barely at all but what are=20
> the odds of user
> extensible Exceptions (like ML) coming into GHC and having a=20
> proper hierarchy
> of exceptions integrated in the libraries?

Well, we could do a proper job of extensible data types, which probably
isn't hard but is certainly a fair amount of work.  Or we could treat
Exception as a special case, like ML.  Or we could take the
Dynamic-typed exception stuff and try to use that in a general way to
provide an extensible exception type... I'm open to suggestions.