ghc-pkg

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:53:27 +0100

> I would like to add a request to Thomas list of lacking features of
> ghc --make:
>=20
>   When caching information between the compilation of=20
> different modules,
>   use weak pointers.
>=20
> With large projects, ghc runs out of heapspace because of too much
> caching.

I think it's more likely that GHC has some space leaks which cause it to
hang on to too much memory between compilations.  In theory, it only
caches the contents of interface files (in a pre-processed state), but
due to leakage it may end up hanging on to more stuff.  This is high up
on our list of things to investigate.

I'm not sure what you have in mind w.r.t. weak pointers - could you
elaborate?  In GHC there isn't a kind of pointer that says "hold on this
unless we run out of heap", which is perhaps what you were after.