ghc-pkg

Josef Svenningsson josefs@cs.chalmers.se
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:35:00 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Simon Marlow wrote:

> > With large projects, ghc runs out of heapspace because of too much
> > caching.
>
> I think it's more likely that GHC has some space leaks which cause it to
> hang on to too much memory between compilations.  In theory, it only
> caches the contents of interface files (in a pre-processed state), but
> due to leakage it may end up hanging on to more stuff.  This is high up
> on our list of things to investigate.

Ok, I see. I thought the memory consumption was high just because there
were so many interface files to cache and that they simply take up a lot
of memory. Anyway, it's good to hear that you're working on it.

> I'm not sure what you have in mind w.r.t. weak pointers - could you
> elaborate?  In GHC there isn't a kind of pointer that says "hold on this
> unless we run out of heap", which is perhaps what you were after.

My suggestion to use weak pointers was just a confusion on my side.
Sorry for that. What I had in mind was the kind of pointer that you
suggest.

Cheers

	/Josef