GHC Installation Location

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:24:39 -0000

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 03:18:33 -0700, Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> > At 2001-10-25 03:01, Simon Marlow wrote:
> >=20
> > >I've wondered at various times in the past whether there=20
> ought to be a
> > >link from /usr/local/includes/ghc to=20
> /usr/local/lib/ghc-5.02/includes.
> >=20
> > Won't help, my GHC is installed at /usr/lib/ghc-5.02/,=20
> exactly where the=20
> > Debian package put it. And now that location is hard-coded=20
> in my Makefile.
>=20
> What about (finally!) adding the `--print-include-path' and
> `--print-library-path' switches to ghc?  That would be a clean
> solution, IMO.
>=20
> IIRC, this has been asked for several times in the past, but was never
> implemented.

In 5.00.X you could say 'ghc-pkg --show-package=3Dstd
--field=3Dlibrary_dirs' but now in 5.02 this just says "$libdir" because
we made the package.conf file independent of the install location to
solve some problems with installation on Windows.  The value of $libdir
(aka $topdir) is passed to GHC using the -B<dir> option, which on Unix
is hardwired into the shell wrapper script 'ghc'.

So we should have an option like '--print-libdir' to get at the value of
$libdir, and then you can find out the locations of the actual libraries
and include files by interrogating ghc-pkg.  ok?