sparc/linux, again

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:08:35 +0100

> Dear all, I can't get the hc-boot process to work for=20
> sparc64-linux-debian.
> I compiled from the ghc-4.08.2 hc-files, but when I run the=20
> executable, I get
>=20
> Starting program: /home/joe/ghc-4.08.2/ghc/compiler/hsc=20
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...
> Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
> 0x7ccdd8 in forceIO_info ()
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x7ccdd8 in forceIO_info ()
> #1  0x7ccec0 in stg_init_ret ()
> #2  0x7c45b4 in schedule ()
> #3  0x7c4bd8 in waitThread ()
> #4  0x7c30a4 in rts_evalIO ()
> #5  0x7c2ab4 in main ()
> #6  0x700df450 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6

Which .hc files did you use?  To port to a new architecture you really
need to start from an unregisterised build.  As I recall, 4.08.2 also
has some 64-bit incompatibilities, which might cause problems porting to
sparc64.

I don't want to put you off, but this *really* isn't for the
faint-hearted ;-)

You might want to talk to Ken Shan <ken@digitas.harvard.edu> who did the
Alpha port recently, and there are some useful messages in the mailing
list archives (use Google's "search site" facility to search haskell.org
for "GHC Alpha port").