./configure

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:21:17 -0000

> Simon Marlow wrote:
> > when installing ghc and hugs under SuSE linux 8.1 I got
> >=20
> > "configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one"
> >=20
> > It worked after I added "--host=3Di386-linux"
> >=20
> >=20
> > [ redirected to glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org ]
> >=20
> > What does config.guess return on your system?
>=20
> i686-pc-linux-gnu

That's strange, configure is supposed to emit the error only if
config.guess fails.  The relevant bit of the configure script is:

case "$host_alias" in
NONE)
  case $nonopt in
  NONE)
    if host_alias=3D`${CONFIG_SHELL-/bin/sh} $ac_config_guess`; then :
    else { echo "configure: error: can not guess host type; you must
specify one" 1>&2; exit 1; }
    fi ;;
  *) host_alias=3D$nonopt ;;
  esac ;;
esac

Could you try adding echos in various places to determine what has gone
wrong?  It might be something specific to whatever /bin/sh is on your
system, I suppose.