./configure

Christian Maeder maeder@tzi.de
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 18:04:24 +0100

Simon Marlow wrote:
> That's strange, configure is supposed to emit the error only if
> config.guess fails.
>
> maeder@davinci -> ./config.guess
> ./config.guess: line 844: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
> ./config.guess: line 1: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
> ./config.guess: line 1105: dummy-5901.c: Keine Berechtigung
> ./config.guess: unable to guess system type
>

> Keine Berechtigung == No authorization (according to babel fish).  You
> wouldn't perchance be trying to configure in a  tree you don't have
> write access to, would you?

Yes, since ownership changed I don't have write permission. But I could
reproduce the original output below (because the same problem occurred
when installing hugs). Oddly, other users here get "i686-pc-linu-gnu".

maeder@davinci -> ./config.guess
./config.guess: unable to guess system type

This script, last modified 2001-07-09, has failed to recognize
the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
download the most up to date version of the config scripts from

     ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/

If the version you run (./config.guess) is already up to date, please
send the following data and any information you think might be
pertinent to <config-patches@gnu.org> in order to provide the needed
information to handle your system.

config.guess timestamp = 2001-07-09

uname -m = i686
uname -r = 2.4.19-4GB
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #2 Mon Dec 9 11:21:22 CET 2002

/usr/bin/uname -p =
/bin/uname -X     =

hostinfo               =
/bin/universe          =
/usr/bin/arch -k       =
/bin/arch              = i686
/usr/bin/oslevel       =
/usr/convex/getsysinfo =

UNAME_MACHINE = i686
UNAME_RELEASE = 2.4.19-4GB
UNAME_SYSTEM  = Linux
UNAME_VERSION = #2 Mon Dec 9 11:21:22 CET 2002