notes on ghc-5.02.2

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:21:22 -0000

> Some questions
> --------------
>=20
> * up-arrow key does not work in  ghci,=20
>   and it worked in binary installation.
>   Probably, some library was not found. How to fix this?

Do you have the readline-devel RPM installed?  This is needed to compile
GHC with readline support.

>   I have stored  config.log  of  `./configure ...'
>   and  makeall.log  of  `make all'.
>   `make boot' (before `make all') did nothing and issued a=20
>   message recommending to run a thing something in some=20
>   subdirectory, and I skipped this command at all. Do I mistake?
>=20
> * the directory  /share  always neighboured to  /bin /lib
>   in the installation directory. Why it is absent now?
>   Maybe, the up-arrow bug is related to this?

/share is created when there is documentation to install.   Probably you
didn't install the documentation (it isn't installed by default).

> * Where to find the ghc manual in the .ps form,
>   like  set.ps  provided by binary installation?=20

There's a pre-formatted version on the GHC web site:

	http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/set.ps

> * The interpreted code looks 2-3 times larger than compiled one.
>   DoCon-library has size                    11 Mb, =20
>   .o files of compiled test take less than   2 Mb,
>   test loading   ghci -package docon T_ +RTS -Mxx -RTS
>    =20
>   needs  xx =3D 12  for the compiled full test  T_,
>               31  for interpreted  T_.
>   If  DoCon-library  is out of the heap reserved by -M  (is it?),
>   then, we have that interpreted code is  2.6  times larger.

Compiled code isn't loaded into the heap, so it isn't included in the
size you give to -M. =20

>   Is this due to large interaces kept in heap?

What are "interaces"?