Concurrent Haskell (GHC) and Win32 Applications ?

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:49:23 -0800

| The problem I think is with the lightweight thread implementation -=20
| Win32 calls can (and will) block the OS thread that makes the call,=20
| which blocks the entire system. Given that I'm wanting to write a=20
| network server with a Win32 GUI, this is obviously a Bad Thing.

Yes, that's true at the moment, but it's something that we expect
to fix shortly.  More precisely, Sigbjorn has been working on a=20
fix.  It relies on using an OS thread to make a potentially-blocking
call, so it's a robust fix. =20

I don't quite know when he'll be done with this -- Sigbjorn do you know?

Meanwhile, all you can do is to avoid making blocking I/O calls.

Simon