incremental linking?

Andre Pang ozone@algorithm.com.au
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:54:50 -0800

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 09:50:56AM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:

> > More fun with Haskell-in-the-large: linking time has become the
> > main bottleneck in our development cycle. The standard solution
> > would be to use an incremental linker, but it seems that gnu does
> > not yet support this:-|
>
> Hmm, I've never heard of linking being a bottleneck.

The runtime loader stuff I'm working on[1] takes around 10
seconds to compile ... and 3 minutes to link it with libHSbase
and libHSrts.  (This is on a 500MHz PIII).  Linking is a huge
bottleneck once you start linking in the Haskell libraries; ld
takes up enormous amounts of CPU time resolving symbols,
I think.

1. http://www.algorithm.com.au/wiki/hacking/haskell.ghc_runtime_loading

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone@algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save