mergesort. Reply

D. Tweed tweed@compsci.bristol.ac.uk
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:21:52 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:08:30 +0300
> Eray Ozkural <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> wrote:
>
> > You guys know about the expected running time of randomized quicksort, right?
> > There is also the heapsort algorithm. Both are fine for *any* data that you
> > can't do with a bucket/bin sort.
>
> I've often wondered why the heapsort isn't used for the standard sort
> function.
>
> I heard that one reason hugs used insertion sort was for good lazy
> behaviour, you don't have to pay for the whole N^2 sort at once, each
> element that is actually requred pays just N.
>
> With heapsort you'd get this behaviour too. You pay N for the first
> element (to build the heap) and then log N for each subsequent element.
>
> Quicksort on the other hand is monolithic as is mergsort (right?).

I don't know whether as implemented it is effectively monolithic, but
surely it needn't be: if you ask for just the first item
then at each level you only do the partition
corresponding to the elements smaller than the partition, i.e. assuming
`perfect partitioning' you do n + n/2 + n/4 +... approx 2n work to find
the smallest element. What I'm not sure about is that this is done by
creating a tree structure (either explicitly or implicitly) and I haven't
throught about whether flattening that to a list is done in a way which
minimises the cost of producing the whole list at the expense of making it
less lazy.

www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~tweed/  |  `It's no good going home to practise
email:tweed@cs.bris.ac.uk  |   a Special Outdoor Song which Has To Be
work tel:(0117) 954-5250   |   Sung In The Snow' -- Winnie the Pooh