FFI & C++

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller@gmx.net
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:53:45 +0100

Many platforms have the C++ runtime and the C++ standard library as a
static library (probably because the C++ ABI is not as stable as it
should be...). I think this applies to both Mac OS and to Windows
[mingw32], perhaps it's the same with Solaris.
If that is the case, it would explain the problem, I think.

GHCi can't load static libraries [yet - the ar format shouldn't be too
difficult to implement], so everything that's needed from static
libraries has to be linked into the ghc binary and probably also listed
in Linker.c (who else doesn't like those hard-coded symbol references?)

Just my EUR 0.02 :-)

Cheers,
Wolfgang