ghc 5.04 -- make -prof -auto-all under WinNT

Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:51:11 +0100

Dear Win32 GHC folk

It does seem that GHC 5.04 profiling was utterly broken.   It now seems
that this might have been to do with the version of gcc we were using.
It seems to work with 5.04.1 and a new version of gcc, which (though
Sigbjorn's good offices) will come inside 5.04.1's distribution.

So our claim is that 5.04.1 will work for profiling.  We hope to get it
out this week.  Can you try again then?

Thanks

Simon

|=20
| Hallo!
|=20
| I tried to compile the following little program (hallo.hs) with
ghc-5.04 --make
| -prof -auto:
|=20
| import System (getArgs)
|=20
|=20
| main :: IO ()
| main=3D do	args <- getArgs
| 	if args =3D=3D []	then error "Aufruf: Filename Dimension1
Dimension2
| ..."
| 		else prog (head args) (tail args)
|=20
| prog :: FilePath -> [String] -> IO ()
| prog file dimZ =3D do	cont <- readFile file
| 		putStr (file ++ "\n")
| 		putStr (show dimZ ++ "\n")
| 		let result =3D "Hello world!"
| 		writeFile (file++".out") ( result)
|=20
| The system is WinNT and compiling succeeded. But I got an a.out file
while I
| should get a file hallo.exe (according to ghc --help).
| I renamed the program to hallo.exe and tried it. When I don't give any
| arguments it behaves like expected. If I give it one or more arguments
it
| crashes.
|=20
| When I compile it only with ghc --make hallo.hs I also get an a.out
file but
| this behaves well when renamed to hallo.exe.
|=20
| What is the problem? And what can I do to use the profiling?
|=20