Feature request for ghci

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:24:28 +0100

> Assume this situation
>=20
> Test/
>   Foo.hs <- this is module Test.Foo
>   Bar.hs <- this is module Test.Bar
>=20
> Test.Foo imports Test.Bar
>=20
> If I cd into Test, and do ghci Bar.hs everything is fine, module
> Test.Bar is loaded.
>=20
> If I do ghci Foo.hs it complains about not being able to find=20
> Test.Bar.
>=20
> My request is that ghci looks "up" in the hierarchy and=20
> assumes that the
> user wants too look for modules in .. if the module Test.Foo=20
> lies in the
> file Foo.hs
>=20
> Of course this will not always work, symlinks and other things, but it
> would be useful. Now I have to do "cd ..; ghci -i. Test.Foo" instead.

I'm sceptical about this feature.  As Hal mentioned, you can always do =
'ghci -i.. Foo.hs', but even that is slightly dodgy because then you =
have two overlapping directories on the import path.  The reason you can =
use Foo.hs is because it is a root module, and root modules are allowed =
to have filenames which differ from their module names.  Suppose you try =
to refer to it as simply "Foo", making sure we're in a different =
directory entirely:

  $ cd <elsewhere>; ghci -i<path>/Test Foo
  <path>/Test/Foo.hs: file name does not match module name `Foo'

The only "right" way to use a hierarchical module is from the root of =
the tree.