GHC and readline

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 18:06:21 -0700

At 2002-09-15 16:43, Glynn Clements wrote:

>Readline is a GNU package, available from ftp.gnu.org.
>
>However, note that it is GPL (not LGPL), so it's only legally usable
>in GPL'd programs.

Eeesh! So this means any GHC code that uses package util (or data, which
depends on it) must be distributed GPL.

Would it be possible to isolate readline-using code in a separate
package? I'm pretty sure I don't need readline functionality for what I'm
doing, but I do need the "data" package...

Currently I distribute the source code for my HBase library under LGPL.
But because HBase binaries would typically include readline code, users
of my binaries would be obliged to comply with the GPL.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA