Newbie building GHC

Mike Thomas Mike Thomas" <miketh@brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:37:02 +1000

Hi Saswat and Dominic.

To build yesterday's CVS HEAD (previously autoconfed) using Windows 2000,
GHC 5.04.1, and Mingw32 gcc 2.95.3-7 in the southern hemisphere 10 hours
ahead of GMT, I did the following (by memory - the details of the configure
options may be shaky):

- Start the standard Cygwin Bash prompt

- Run the following following commands:

    export PATH=/cygdrive/c/lang/mingw32/bin::${PATH}

    make clean; ./configure --build=mingw >& configure.log

    make >& make.log

I had "build.mk" in the "mk" directory set for a performance build and
SPLIT_OBJS=NO.

I built Happy from scratch.

This built Happy, the compiler and RTS, libraries, and some of hslibs
stopping at the Win32 library due to a missing file, the name of which
escapes me.  Thinking that I had to run Green-card to generate that file, I
tried building Green-card but GHC failed to build the StdDIS module due to
an out of range index - reported separately in ghc-bugs.

The build has been a bit shaky for me since the Template Haskell changes.
Luckily I preserved a complete HEAD build from just before those changes
which runs beautifully including heap profiling and the ObjectIO library.

Maybe you should try building the STABLE branch (if you were using HEAD
previously)?

Cheers

Mike Thomas.