Dynamic/runtime loading with GHC

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:00:43 +0100

Great!  Simon M is going to take a look when he has a moment.  Meanwhile =
I'd like to encourage those of you who are keen on this stuff [Duncan, =
Andre?] to write up

	(a) how to use it (in SGML, to add to the user manual); see
		fptools/ghc/docs/using

	(b) how it is implemented (in HTML, to add to the GHC Commentary),
		including not only the new stuff, but what you know about
		the existing stuff
		see fptools/ghc/docs/comm

	(c) patches for what needs to change in the GHC and/or libraries
		code base to support it

That way it'll get into our main code base and get maintained.  Simon M =
has way too much to do! =20

Simon

Chakravarty;
| Duncan Coutts
| Subject: Dynamic/runtime loading with GHC
|=20
| Hi all,
|=20
| I've whipped up an example tarball of how to do "runtime loading"
| (similar to dynamic loading, a.k.a. dlopen() or LoadLibrary()) in
| GHC.  You can find it here:
|=20
|     =
http://www.algorithm.com.au/wiki/hacking/haskell.ghc_runtime_loading
|=20
| It's a little example stdin text filter program, that loads in .o
| and .so "plugins" at runtime.  New in version 1.1 is the ability
| to load .so files as plugins :).  I think that with a bit more
| polish, we may even be able to rename this to a dynamic loader
| one day.
|=20
| Have fun!
|=20