profiling for stack usage

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
18 Aug 2003 16:03:41 +0200

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

>> 1. Is there a way to profile stack usage, so that I can identify the
>> culprit and deal with the problem at the root?

>   http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/prof-heap.html#RTS-OPTIONS-HEAP-PROF+RTS
>
> in particular, the -xt flag.

Hmm, sorry for being so dense, but I'm having a tough time with this.
It seems profiling by itself tends to blow the stack -- is that
correct/normal behavior?  (I'm also using -O2, if that matters)

Is there any way to know what kind of data resides on the stack, or
what function generated it?  The TSO tells med its size, but isn't
really helpful beyond that (or am I missing something?)

-kzm