Modifying GHC to accept external Styx code

Mark Alexander Wotton mwotton@cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:32:03 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> Aha!  So what you really want is a code generator!
>
> I suggest you take a look at C--.
> 	www.cminusminus.org
> (Check out the papers especially.)  It's designed for exactly what Stix
> is designed for, only much, much better.  There's a prototype
> implementation from Fermin Reig, and Norman Ramsey is working hard on
> another.   (I'm ccing him.)
>
> Hmm.  Maybe someone can write a C-- front end for GHC's code generator!

I've looked at C--. It's certainly very interesting, but one of the
benefits of using ghc for the frontend and the backend is that I don't
need to think about the primitive operations much; I can just pass them
through. A C-- front end for GHC would be almost perfect, if one existed.

Mark