O'Haskell

Adrian Hey ahey@iee.org
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 02:09:22 +0000

On Friday 07 February 2003 10:32, Steffen Mazanek wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am toying with the idea of implementing the OHaskell-concepts
> of Johan Nordlander in the GHC (as a diploma thesis).
> Simon Marlow adviced me to do some "market research" in this
> group and here we go.
> I am interested in all kinds of comments, advices, scrupulosites...

I would be interested in trying this out if you're offering to
produce it:-) But I fear that forking ghc to produce a non-standard
compiler which may well suffer "bit rot" in the end won't attract
many users. Nobody is going to invest a lot of time writing code
in a language for which there is only 1 compiler (which will probably
not be maintained in the long term). Perhaps instead you could do much
of what you want with some kind of pre-processor which may be easier
to maintain.

O'Haskell doesn't seem to have attracted much attention from Haskeller's
and I suspect that one reason for this is that the only implementation
is a modified obsolete version of Hugs (1.3 ?). It would be a pity if
your version suffered the same fate.

Regards
--
Adrian Hey