Profiling trouble

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:10:10 -0000

> Please help me understanding GHC 5.02.2 profiling output!

Please upgrade your version of GHC - lots of bugs have been fixed in
later versions.

>     cutStates                   =3D  {-# SCC "showData1" #-}=20
> getStates params

> My question: showData1 is a single function call, how can it
> still have such a big individual share?  Where is the
> program spending its time?  Sorry if it is a trivial
> question, functional profiling is new to me.

The answer is that I don't know, from your program it does indeed look
like showData1 should be showing the cost of doing the call, nothing
more.  Try with a newer version of GHC and see if you get the same
results.