Mac Port

Gregory Wright gwright@comcast.net
Sun, 01 Jun 2003 23:23:19 -0400

On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 07:36 PM, Wolfgang Thaller wrote:

>> Dear Wolfgang,
>>
>> I maintain the Hugs port for the darwinports system (a cousin of fink
>> and
>> perhaps the successor to the *bsd ports system). I'd like to add a
>> port
>> for ghc-6.0. I tried to build it but ran into some problems.
>>
>> 1. configure doesn't pass the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS environment
>> variables
>> to the haskell build. This means you can't have libreadline and libdl
>> in
>> non-standard locations.
>
> Grmpf... I know I don't like configure scripts. I prefer IDEs. Do you
> know how to fix it/have time to do it?
> If not, would somebody else _PLEASE_ do that for us? (It wouldn't
> enjoy digging into the build system code to fix that; in fact, I would
> positively hate it).

I will take a look at the configuration issue for ghc-6.0 + Mac OS X. I
was
able to hand edit the makefiles to pass the correct include and library
paths;
it's not too big a job to pass the appropriate configuration variables.

>> This is a problem for darwinports and fink because of their automatic
>> dependency
>> management.
>
>> 2. Even if I put symlinks to the above libraries in the standard
>> locations,
>> I still get a build failure. This is building 6.0 using 5.04.3.
>> (5.04.3 was
>> built from source successfully using your 5.04.2 binary.) The build
>> ends with
>> [...]
>
> Ahem, yes. I didn't have a chance to test GHC 6 in the last five days
> before the release, and, of course, the last commit broke the Mac OS X
> build. I have meanwhile committed a fix to CVS, but that was a day
> after the official relase for 6.0. If you check out the newest stable
> branch from CVS (or ask me to send you diffs tomorrow), it should > work.
> (That last commit made GHC quote all arguments it passes on to GHC;
> for Mac OS X, it passed "-framework HaskellSupport" instead of
> "-framework" "HaskellSupport". GCC doesn't report an error but it just
> ignores the former. Strange.)

I'll check it out from the CVS in the morning.

> The "HaskellSupport" framework (which is not used if it's not detected
> at configure time; there should really be a configure switch for that)
> is just an aggregation of libgmp and libdl packaged as a framework. I
> figured that would be easier for end users of Haskell programs, as
> libgmp is required for all Haskell programs, and libdl is used by the
> Posix library (and how do you install a dylib using the Finder?). For
> something like darwinports, it might be better to just rely on the gmp
> and dl libraries installed with darwinports, but that makes programs
> compiled using ghc dependent on darwinports, too.

For darwinports, I'll probably just install gmp and dl as dependencies.
There is
also provision to install frameworks in $prefix/Frameworks. I'll have
to think about
which is more appropriate.

> And you just reminded me that I still haven't uploaded the 10 line
> shell script for creating the HaskellSupport.framework anywhere,
> because I could never figure out the appropriate place in CVS:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> cd dlcompat-20020413
> cp dlfcn.o ../
> make
> cd ../gmp-4.0.1
> ./configure
> make
> ld -r -d ./libs/libgmp.a -o ../libgmp.o
> cd ..
> ld -dylib -o HaskellSupport.framework/Versions/A/HaskellSupport
> libgmp.o dlfcn.o /usr/lib/dylib1.o -lSystem
>

> OK, that's all for now...
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	Wolfgang

Thanks for the help!