ghc6.0 and ghc5.04.3 i386 rpms available

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace@cs.york.ac.uk
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:04:59 +0100

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> The reason for including the version number in the name is so you can have
> side-by-side installation of several different versions of GHC, right?  Is
> there really a demand for having several different patchlevel releases
> installed at the same time?

The reason I usually try to keep several patchlevel releases around
simultaneously is for testing compatibility problems.  E.g., if I
think I've discovered a bug in ghc, I try it out on several versions
to help pin down when it might have been introduced.  Likewise, if
someone reports a bug in software I distribute, I sometimes need to
get an exact version of ghc to reproduce the problem and advise on
whether a simple upgrade is all that is needed.

Regards,
    Malcolm