Mutable arrays

Tomasz Zielonka t.zielonka@students.mimuw.edu.pl
Thu, 8 May 2003 16:09:30 +0200

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 02:34:14PM +0200, Koen Claessen wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have also a feature request for mutable arrays: Is it
> possible to prove a function like "realloc" which extends
> the array to a larger size, copying all existing
> information? Right now, I have to do this myself; I am using
> a type 'IORef (UArray ..)' which seems kind of silly and
> unnecessarily inefficient.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be compatible with current MArray class. Its
declaration begins with:

    class (HasBounds a, Monad m) => MArray a e m where

It requires type constructor 'a' to belong to HasBounds constructor
class. HasBounds' method 'bounds' knows nothing about Monad m, it is
a pure function:

    bounds :: (Ix i) => a i e -> (i, i)

With realloc it would return m (i, i)

So, it is more a design issue than implementation issue.

> Regards,
> /Koen

Regards,
Tom

--
.signature: Too many levels of symbolic links