Executable size?

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Nov 12 17:18:53 EST 2003

[apologies to anybody who sees the rather similar message I posted to
caml-list...]

How does Haskell (ghc) compare with languages like O'Caml, C and C++ for
executable size?  How big is the runtime library?

Are there any easily-identifiable, non-obvious, factors that affect
executable size (I'm talking about end-use factors, rather those resulting
from the design decisions taken by the language designers and
implementors)?

I currently use Python by preference, but I'm interested in a language
(other than C/C++!) that doesn't depend on a big runtime library and
generates "reasonably" small executables -- modems are here to stay for a
while yet.

Thanks for any help

John