mips-sgi-irix bootstrapping

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat Oct 11 23:21:33 EDT 2003

dons:
> rmartine:

> > > Have you done 'make boot' in ghc/driver?
> > >

> Yes, I had this error too. I've solved it by adding:
>
>     [] into driver/package.conf.inplace
> and
>     touch driver/stamp-pkg-conf-rts
>
> It is not so nice that ghc-inplace dumps core if package.conf.inplace
> is an empty file... I think Ian has mentioned this too.

As a final note on this bug, the core dumps disappear on
mips-sgi-irix if I start from the beginning with 64bit code, i.e.
mips64-sgi-irix.

By setting -mabi=64 in CFLAGS, longs become 8 bytes, and
bugs disappear. No need for my hack of tricking gmp into using 32
bit mips asm. This solves the package.conf bug, the __decodeFloat
bug and the gmp div bug that mips people have encountered.

So we'll see how far we get using 64 bits right from the start on
this funny Irix thing.

-- Don