Faster, GHC, and floating point.

Andreas.Schroeder at gillardon.de Andreas.Schroeder at gillardon.de
Tue Oct 21 12:39:50 EDT 2003

Hi Simon,

I added some `seq` 's to the code.
I also used SSE (not p4, i don't have the p4 available by now, but i'll
test it)
and indeed, it runs _a bit_ faster: ~640 now vs. 711 ms before (Speedup
1.11).

Now, Haskell takes 4.57 the time of C++ (cygwin gnu C++ with -O2).

But if i look in the interface file by -ddump-hi, i see lot's of U(L) 's
instead of S
or similar in the signature of the functions. I think that U(L) is better
than L, but
can i do better than U(L) somehow?

Regards,
Andreas Schroeder

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           "Simon Marlow"  |
|         |           <simonmar at micros|
|         |           oft.com>        |
|         |                           |
|         |           20.10.2003 18:18|
  |        An:      <Andreas.Schroeder at gillardon.de>, <glasgow-haskell-users at haskell.org>                             |
  |        Kopie:   "JP Bernardy" <jyp_7 at yahoo.com>                                                                   |
  |        Thema:   RE: Faster, GHC, and floating point.                                                              |

Looking at your code, it looks like you should add some more strictness.