mips64 and gmp observation

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Oct 26 19:19:58 EST 2003

Hey all,

Some mips64 and gmp observations:

The normal way, unregisterised, with the in-tree gmp, v3.1.1:

   OVERALL SUMMARY for test run started at Fri Oct 24 17:17:56 PDT 2003
        1070 total tests, which gave rise to
        1070 test cases, of which
           0 caused framework failures
          29 were skipped

         889 expected passes
          10 expected failures
           0 unexpected passes
         142 unexpected failures
        ^^^^^
When I recompiled using the Irix-provided libgmp, also v3.1.1,
the results were:

   OVERALL SUMMARY for test run started at Sat Oct 25 20:13:03 PDT 2003
        1070 total tests, which gave rise to
        1070 test cases, of which
           0 caused framework failures
          29 were skipped

         932 expected passes
          10 expected failures
           0 unexpected passes
          99 unexpected failures
        ^^^^^

43 tests, involving floats or double, passed with the external libgmp.
The brokeness exhibited itself as segfaults, or showing values as 0.0 or
0.0e0 instead of the correct result.

These tests that were cured by using an external gmp:

    arr0{05,06,13,16}
    num0{01,07,08,11}
    cg0{14,18,19,24,26,28,34,35,42}
    arith0{01,04,06-08,12-14,16-17}

    CPUTime001 gshow gzip paradise strings
    timeexts001 rand001 dynamic001 mdo001

    andy_cherry barton-mangler-bug cholewo-eval
    fun_insts jl_defaults lennart_range thurston-modular-arith

    tcrun027

So mips64 users should definitely use the external gmp provided with
Irix, as it must be better configured than ours for the time being.

And, I guess all porters should take note that even though a port
builds, and can then rebuild ghc itself, it may still be broken in ways
only the testsuite will find.

Cheers,
    Don