Unreg/registerised hc booting success

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:43:44 +0100

=20
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:39:33PM +1000, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> >=20
> >     $ ghc/ghc-6.0.1/ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace                 =20
> >     ghc-6.0.1: no input files
> >     Usage: For basic information, try the `--help' option.
> >=20
> >     $ ghc/ghc-6.0.1/ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace hello.hs=20
> >     hello.hs:1:
> >         Failed to load interface for `Prelude':
> >             Could not find interface file for `Prelude'
> >             (use -v to see a list of the files searched for)
> >=20
> > I'll solve this library thing, try and build a compiler.=20
> > And then try a sparc.=20
>=20
> I have found that I need to copy the library/ .hi files=20
> across, although
> Simon Marlow seemed to think that should be unnecessary. Also,
> ghc/driver/package.conf.inplace seems to become the empty list; I
> haven't bothered to look into this as it's easy enough just to copy
> ghc/driver/package.conf.inplace.old over the top of it. This isn't
> following the new docs online so YMMV.

Both good points, which I've missed out of the instructions. =20

If you use hc-build, then you don't need to copy across the .hi files:
they're built later, and similarly for the package.conf file.

In light of this, I might amend the instructions to recommend using
hc-build even for an unregisterised bootstrap, because copying across
the .hi files isn't guaranteed to work when cross-compiling (I'm not
certain that the .hi format is platform-independent enough).