GHC 6.2

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 26 13:27:50 EDT 2003

> "Simon Peyton-Jones" <simonpj at microsoft.com> writes:
>
> > So far we have not been regarding 6.2 as ultra-urgent because we
> > don't know of anyone who is really stuck with 6.0.  Please let us
> > know if you are in fact stuck.
>
> I already mentioned that I really need large file support, and I'd add
> that I have some problems with profiling (segfaults, internal
> errors¹),
> both under 6.0 and 6.0.1.  Is this known and/or fixed?  And was there
> any answer to the original question:

The 'strange selectee 29' crash that you reported earlier is fixed in 6.2.

I saw your '.hp file contains NULs' reoprt, but there's not much we can do without a test case, unfortunately.  I've never seen this one myself.

Are there any other profiling bugs that I missed?  (apart from the 'entries field is zero' bug in SourceForge)?

> >> When can we expect 6.2?
>
> I can work e.g. the large file issue by using multiple files, but as
> it's going to be fixed RSN, I haven't bothered yet.  An approximate
> schedule would be nice, I promise not to blame anybody if it doesn't
> hold. :-)

We're removing a lot of old/deprecated stuff in 6.2, so I want to be sure we haven't broken anything before doing the release.  The best estimate I can give is 4-6 weeks, but it could be sooner if things settle down quickly.