-fallow-incoherent-instances

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 3 11:39:44 EST 2004

It is strange that adding -fallow-incoherent-instances should *stop* it
compiling.

This does not happen in the HEAD.  I can see why it happens in 6.2

You are on very very very thin ice with this program.  You have

	instance Confuse a => Typeable a

	f :: Typeable a => ...
	f x = ....stuff that needs Typeable ....

At any time the compiler might use the instance decl to reduce the
constraint
	Typeable a
	Confuse a
The only thing *stopping* it doing so is the desire to preserve
coherence, which is why it does though before you add the flag.  When
you add the flag -fallow-incoherent-instances, the compiler feels free
to reduce Typeable a to Confuse a... but then it finds that the type
signature for f only provides Typeable.

Sorry.. but if you have all of
	undecidable instances
	overlapping instances