"Talking" with the compiler

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Jan 18 10:31:21 EST 2004

HNBeck:
> Hi,
>
> in order to build a programming environement, it would be nice to ask
> the GHC about symbols etc found in a given Haskell program. I've read
> that GHC has a interface, which was originally intended to plug in
> other backends. But I've never found a detailed description or API....
>
> Can someone help me ?

Perhaps you are talking about the external Core interface. Documentation
for that is here:
    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/ext-core.html

Also, there are many -ddump-xxx options, that can give you very useful
information, at any level of the compiler. Info for that is here:
    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/flag-reference.html#AEN6775

Cheers,
    Don