GHC-6.2 and Template Haskell on OS X

Gregory Wright gwright at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 10:57:07 EST 2004

Hi,

I have a question about ghc-6.2 and template haskell on  Mac OS X. I
think
it's a ghc configuration or build issue, so I'm posting here instead of
the TH list.

I have ghc-6.2 built under darwinports. This uses a 6.0.1 binary to
bootstrap the
6.2 build. I haven't updated the binary bootstrap compiler because it
seems
to work under both Jaguar (10.2.x) and Panther (10.3.x). The portfile
builds ghc-6.2
with the command 'make all'. The resulting ghc-6.2 has worked fine
until I tried to
build a program using TH. I tried to build the simplest example--the
one in the
User's guide-- and it failed with:

 > ghc --make -fth main.hs -o main
Chasing modules from: main.hs
Compiling Printf           ( ./Printf.hs, ./Printf.o )

./Printf.hs:23: Type constructor or class not in scope: `Expr'

./Printf.hs:26: Variable not in scope: `string'

./Printf.hs:30: Type constructor or class not in scope: `Expr'

This must be a simple problem. The other thing to note about the
darwinports
build is that it stages the installation into a temporary directory so
it can do an
inventory of the files that will be installed. If a path in the staging
directory gets
compiled in, instead of the final installation directory, all manner of
unhappiness
can result.

Any one have any ideas? The answer is probably staring me in the face
but
I'm not able to see it.

Best Wishes,

Greg