Glasgow Haskell on different versions of Linux

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Tue Jun 8 10:17:22 EDT 2004

Dear Haskellers,

since version 6.2 we have 2 binary distributions for (generic) linux:
for glibc 2.2 and glibc 2.3

Unfortunately our network has machines with both of this glibc versions.

The problem seems to be related with the inclusion of "ctype.h". Is it
possible to produce a GHC binary for glibc 2.3 that does not depend on
ctype.h? I think such a binary (produced under glibc 2.3) would be
executable also under linux with glibc 2.2

Currently ctype.h triggers the error under glibc 2.2 (if the glibc 2.3
binarias are used): /lib/i686/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found
(required by lib/i386-unknown-linux/ghc-6.2.1)

and prevents linking under glibc 2.3 (if the glibc 2.2 release is used)

Cheers Christian