Unregistered build (was Re: AMD64)

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 15 10:52:53 EDT 2004

On 15 June 2004 14:18, Bennett Todd wrote:

> 2004-06-14T16:06:05 Simon Marlow:
>> You probably don't want to install the registerised build; just use
>> it to build a fresh tree:
>>
>>   $ ./configure
>> --with-ghc=/unregisterised-build/ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace
>>   $ make
>
> Everything was fine up to there, but "make" does nothing at all.
>
> I followed the instructions for creating the
> ghc-6.2.1-i386-unknown-linux-hc.tar.gz (which I did on a Red Hat 8
> system), then (on my uClibc-based, static linking system) ran
>
> 	tar xjf ghc-6.2.1-src.tar.bz2
> 	tar xzf ghc-6.2.1-i386-unknown-linux-hc.tar.gz
> 	cd ghc-6.2.1
> 	./configure --enable-hc-boot --enable-hc-boot-unregisterised
> 	--prefix=/usr ./distrib/hc-build --enable-hc-boot-unregisterised
> 	--prefix=/usr ./configure
--with-ghc=`pwd`/ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace
> 	make
>
> That last make didn't do anything.

After hc-build, you should unpack a completely fresh GHC source tree,
somewhere else.  Then 'cd' into this tree, and issue the configure/make
commands.

You're using the compiler you built originally, which is unregisterised
and builds unregisterised binaries, to build a new compiler which will
generate registerised binaries.