F#

MR K P SCHUPKE k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 08:58:30 EDT 2004

>Not?  How about

Erm, actually I was trying to be diplomatic... What with MS supporting
GHC's development. I completely agree with the statement about the CLR
straight jacket.

Secondly... I agree with you about multi-parameter type classes and
fundeps enabling you to do this - but thats not Haskell 98 and you
also sun into the closed verses open representation problem.

If you look at the paper Ralf, Oleg and I have been wotking on:

http://homepages.cwi.nl/~ralf/HList/

You will see that an alternative approach is possible... Here we
can use the type of an HList to model an objects interface, and
using this technique we have all the examples from an O'Caml tutorial
implemented in Haskell (This is not actually in the paper due to
running out of space - but will probably be the subject of a
separate paper).

	Keean.